School playing fields were created on part of the land, with the remainder laid out as a recreation ground; some funding was received from the King George's Fields Foundation. To the north the park abuts land that was once sewage works on which the Markfield Road Pumping Station still stands, now restored as part of restoration works in the park completed in 2010.
The name Markfields from which Markfield Park takes its name appears to date back to the Middle Ages and the fields were in the Manor of Tottenham. In 1798 William Hobson built Markfield House here, whose grounds included lawns, kitchen gardens, orchard and wooded parkland. John Constable is known to have been a visitor, painting the local area. In 1879 the estate was sold to developers, and the house demolished. In 1929 18 acres of the former estate were compulsorily purchased by Tottenham Borough Council to safeguard it from development.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from dawn to dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from dawn to dusk.
DirectionsLondon Overground: South Tottenham. Bus 318
- Early 20th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust