Clapton Common is a small fragment of the former Broad Common; the south side, overlooked by the early C19th Clapton Terrace, forms an extension to the Common. It retains its large pond but public amenities, such as a Keeper's Box and drinking fountain, no longer exist, and the small mock-Tudor pavilion provided as public toilets became derelict.
Maps of 1745 show a number of hamlets in the area and in the C18th/C19th smart villas were built in Upper Clapton for City bankers and merchants, development accelerating after arrival of the railway. Clapton Common was preserved as public open space in 1872 as a result of a successful public petition that led to 180 acres in Hackney being protected from encroachment.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Stamford Hill. Bus: 253
London Parks and Gardens Trust