Little Onn Hall 2100

Stafford, England, Staffordshire, Stafford

Brief Description

Little Onn has a late-19th-century hall with later additions, close to an earlier medieval moated site. The gardens were laid out by Thomas Mawson and include terraces, a tennis court, a summerhouse, rose garden and some woodland planting.

History

The hall was built in the early 1870s. The gardens were laid out by Thomas Mawson at about the same time, and completed in 1898. Further work was done in the 1920s.

Detailed Description

The majority of Mawson's design was not carried out due to lack of money, but the gates, rose garden and tennis lawn are all good. There is a rustic summerhouse attributed to Mawson, though it is possibly earlier. The rest of the garden was laid out by Messrs Bakers of Wolverhampton in the 1920s.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The hall was built in the early-1870s.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Rose Garden
  • Description: The beds in the rose gardens were once separated by box hedges. Some areas were later paved.
  • Summerhouse
  • Description: The rustic summerhouse is commonly attributed to Mawson. It was actually brought by Mr and Mrs William Dickins Heywood from their previous house, Letton Lodge, in Broughton Park, Manchester in 1917.
  • Well Head
  • Description: This feature no longer remains at Little Onn, though it is illustrated in some of the photographs linked to this record. It is an old well head with a wrought iron top. This was taken away to the garden at Tixall on the death of Mrs W D Heywood in 1971.
  • Pond
  • Description: Major and Mrs William Dickins Heywood created the 'Dog Bone' shaped pond at Little Onn (with its octagonal ends).
  • Earliest Date:
  • Statue
  • Description: Major and Mrs William Dickins Heywood put various statues around the garden.
  • Earliest Date:
Gate, Tennis Lawn
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Church Eaton
History

Detailed History

The house was built between 1870 and 1875, on the site of an earlier medieval moated site (now a Scheduled Ancient Monument). The house features a number of subsqeuent alterations.

The gardens were designed soon after by Thomas Mawson, and were completed in 1898. Features included terraces, lawns, banks, tennis court, yew hedges, walls, and borders, as well as some woodland planting.

Associated People

People associated to Little Onn Hall

References

References