Stretton Hall, Brewood 7042

Cannock, England, Staffordshire, South Staffordshire

Brief Description

The late-17th-century hall was associated with a formal garden in the early-18th century. A wilderness with rides is discernable, though overgrown, and a 19th-century kitchen garden also remains.

History

The late-17th-century hall was remodelled in 1848 by the Monckton family. During the early-18th century there appears to have been a formal garden near the house with orchards, parterres, a canal and woodland walks. The formal gardens had disappeared by 1766 though two summerhouses had been added.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The hall was re-modelled in 1848.
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Icehouse
  • Description: The icehouse is of painted red brick with a limewashed interior.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ornamental Bridge
  • Description: The bridge is of blue brick with teracotta and stone decoration.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Steps
  • Description: There are four sets of stone steps in the Italian garden.
  • Garden Wall
  • Description: The wall frames the Italian garden.
Gate Piers, Gate Lodge, Stable Block
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Lapley, Stretton
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here
References

Contributors

  • Staffordshire Gardens and Parks Trust