The landscape park, which may have been laid out by Humphry Repton, surrounds a house which is now in commercial use as a wedding and conference venue.
The estate ws purchased in 1734 by Robert Barbor and rebuilt. In 1779, it was bought by Edward Monkton, who is believed to have employed Humphry Repton to lay out the grounds. Contemporary illustrations show an ornamental bridge and pool in front of the house and clumps of trees in the park. Somerford Grange, built as an eye-catcher by Robert Barbor, was a working farm house. It was three storeys high with a castellated parapet concealing the roof, and a gothic facade to the front which faced Somerford Hall. After World War 2, the house was converted to flats.
- House (featured building)
- Earliest Date:
- Brewood and Coven
- 18th Century
- Late 18th Century
Staffordshire Gardens and Parks Trust