Aqualate Hall 107

Newport, England, Staffordshire, Stafford

Brief Description

Aqualate Hall has an associated deer park and landscape park, woodland and a large mere. The site also has a working kitchen garden.

History

Sir John Boughey laid out the park during the early-19th century. The deer park dates back to the 17th century.

Detailed Description

The boundary of the 17th century deer park is still evident in places. Some ancient oaks remain in the park although much of the planting dates from the early-19th century. There is no above ground evidence of the formal gardens. The area of the former carriage circle is now lawned over and the former 'Serpentine Walk' is overgrown. The kitchen garden has evidence of a heated wall and retains its associated buildings and gardener's house. The garden is in full cultivation including slip gardens.

Aqualate Mere to the north of the Hall is one mile long and is a Site Of Special Scientific Interest. 'Decoy' wood, located to the east end of the mere suggests that there may have been a duck decoy on the mere in the past.

Features
  • Folly
  • Description: A sham castle.
  • Gate Lodge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Hall (featured building)
  • Description: The current hall was built between 1927 and 1930 and was designed by William Douglas Caroe.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: The kitchen garden has evidence of a heated wall and retains its associated buildings and gardener's house.
Summerhouse, Heated Wall
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Forton
History

Detailed History

Aqualate Hall originally dates back to the early-17th century. John Nash was commissioned to rebuild the hall in the gothic style in the late-18th century. In 1910 the hall was destroyed by fire. The current hall was built between 1927 and 1930 and was designed by William Douglas Caroe.

The deer park dates back to the 17th century. Sir John Boughey laid out the landscape park in the early-19th century. The two lodges were built in about 1835 and farm buildings in about 1860.

Associated People
Contact

Telephone

0845 600 3078

Official Website

Click Here

Owners

    References

    References