Bishops Wood, or Bishopswood is a small village on the Staffordshire border with Shropshire. It is home to the Royal Oak public house, the first to be named after the nearby oak tree at Boscobel House in which King Charles II hid after the Battle of Worcester.
Bishop's Wood is a 352 hectare wood 4 miles west north west of Eccleshall, Staffordshire. There are the remains of a medieval glassworks within Bishop's Wood. The remains include a rectangular glasshouse which was built from sandstone and glacial erratic boulders and situated on a raised plinth. There are also the remains of a furnace with a central flue and a working space adjacent to four internal crucibles.
The monument was excavated between 1931-1932 and restoration was carried out during 1933.
- Features & Designations
- Key Information