Ladywell Fields is a public park formed from three historic fields, through which the Ravensbourne river runs.
'Ladywell' derives from the medicinal well recorded here in the 15th century, which was named after the nearby parish church of St Mary, the fields forming water meadows attached to the church. In 1889 the area between the Ravensbourne and the railway was purchased by the LCC and Lewisham District Board of Works, with further land purchased in 1891 and 1894, and it was opened as Ladywell Recreation Ground. Because the area was liable to flooding the river channel was straightened and enlarged, weirs were added, and the meadows were drained and landscaped.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Catford/Ladywell. Bus: 47, 54, 75, 136, 185, 199, 208, 284, P4, 122.
London Parks and Gardens Trust