Lealands 5715

Wealden, East Sussex, England, East Sussex, Wealden

Brief Description

Pike (1910) writes: 'When the present owner, J.Hancock Nunn, took possession he practically built the present imposing residence leaving only a small portion of the walls inside the house. A Dutch garden, tennis and croquet lawns, bowling green, skittle alley, shooting gallery and large ornamental lake are now amongst the many attractions of this beautiful spot.' The current status of the site is not known.

Detailed Description

The following description is taken from Pike, ‘Sussex in 20th Century, Contemporary Biographies' (1910):

‘Lealands was an old smugglers rendezvous and extensive earth caves were at one time in existence, a few still remaining to within 20 years ago and used as pits for rubbish... Lealands originally was nothing more than a small cottage or cottages early in 17th century but at various times additions were made by passing owners, the views all round the landscape being exceptionally fine. When the present owner, J.Hancock Nunn, took possession he practically built the present imposing residence leaving only a small portion of the walls inside the house. A Dutch garden, tennis and croquet lawns, bowling green, skittle alley, shooting gallery and large ornamental lake are now amongst the many attractions of this beautiful spot.'

(There is also large glass conservatory, balustraded terrace and steps, topiary.)

J.Hancock Nunn (born in 1856) was the sole proprietor of Messrs Hancocks, founders of the India Rubber Industry. Drove the stage coach, Perseverance, to Dorking and the Rocket, and the Vigilance on London, Ascot, Brighton and Eastboume roads.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Planting
  • Description: Dutch garden.
  • Garden Terrace
  • Description: Balustraded terrace.
Croquet Lawn, Tennis Lawn, Bowling Green, Ornamental Lake, Conservatory, Topiary
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Hellingly
History

Detailed History

Lealand is mentioned in the Laughton Manor Enclosure Act, 53 Geo III dating from around 1813.A tithe map shows the site as being possibly owned by Rev. Thomas Scutt.
References

References

Contributors

  • Barbara Abbs

    1

  • Sussex Gardens Trust