Tanners Manor 5695

Waldron, East Sussex, England, East Sussex, Wealden

Brief Description

The estate forms a rough triangle with the Manor and lake of about half a hectare in the vertex pointing north. To the south of the manor is parkland with some wooded areas. Over the years the number of trees has reduced. Abbs (1999) notes a cricket pavilion (1923), a kitchen garden and an arbour.

History

The Ordnance Survey 1\" map (1813) shows a small group of buildings, labelled Tanners Farm, with no evidence of gardens or a lake. On the Ordnance Survey 6\" map (1874) the house is called Great Tanners and orchards and a lake are marked.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pavilion
  • Description: Cricket pavilion.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Kitchen Garden, Arbour, Lake
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Horam
History

Detailed History

According to Pike (1910) the estate was originally owned by the Sackvilles and then the Fullers. The present house is Jacobean (Nairn & Pevsner, 1965).

The Ordnance Survey 1" map (1813) shows a small group of buildings, labelled Tanners Farm, with no evidence of gardens or a lake. On the Ordnance Survey 6" map (1874) the house is called Great Tanners and orchards and a lake are marked. On the Ordnance Survey 6" map of 1932 a substantial area to the south of the house is shown as parkland. The total area, including that around the house, is about 20 hectares (50 acres). In recent years the landscape appears little changed but what was a small group of buildings to the south of the Manor has increased in size to be larger than the Manor. It is labelled Tanners Farm.

Period

  • Mid 19th Century
References

References