The cemetery was planted with numerous conifers and other trees and shrubs throughout, with Cedars, Wellingtonia and other ornamental conifers on the slopes, as well as oak, lime, horse chestnut further north. The original layout of serpentine walks and roadways also remains, now tarmac. To the north the cemetery becomes a more open area with some trees planted and more recent burials.
Lavender Hill Burial Board was set up in 1871 and the 9-acre cemetery was opened on 27 July 1872 on part of the Hundred Acres which belonged to the parish. The cemetery lay-out and its buildings were designed by Mr T J Hill, architect of Enfield, at a cost of around £9,000.
Visitor Facilities9am (M-Sat)/10am (Sun/BH) -4pm (Dec/Jan);-4.30pm (Nov/Feb); 5.30pm (Mar/Apr/Sep/Oct);-7pm/7.30 Sun/BHs (May-Aug)
Detailed DescriptionLavender Hill is so-called for the lavender that was once grown in this area. Lavender Hill Burial Board was set up in 1871 and opened the 9-acre Lavender Hill Cemetery in 1872, with two chapels, one Anglican and the other Nonconformist, and a stone lodge at the main entrance. It was well-planted with trees and the layout of serpentine walks and roads remains today. The cemetery was enlarged in 1897 by 3 acres, and has since been further enlarged. To the north the site becomes a more open area with fewer trees and accommodates recent burials.
Revd George Hodson (Church History) and Edward Ford (General History), 'A History of Enfield in the County of Middlesex including its Royal and Ancient Manors, the Chase and the Duchy of Lancaster, with Notices of its Worthies, and its Natural History, Etc. Also an account of The Church and the Charities, and a History of the New River' (Enfield Press, printed by J H Meyers, 1873); C Webb, revised ed. of P Wolfston,' Greater London Cemeteries and Crematoria', Society of Genealogists, 3rd ed. 1994; Arthur Mee 'The King's England: London North of the Thames except the City and Westminster', (Hodder & Stoughton, 1972); Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 4: North (Penguin, 1998); Edward Walford, 'Village London, the Story of Greater London, Part 2 - North and East', first published 1883/4 (1985 ed., The Alderman Press).
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=ENF027
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Details9am (M-Sat)/10am (Sun/BH) -4pm (Dec/Jan);-4.30pm (Nov/Feb); 5.30pm (Mar/Apr/Sep/Oct);-7pm/7.30 Sun/BHs (May-Aug)
DirectionsRail: Gordon Hill. Bus: W8
London Parks and Gardens Trust