King George's Park is a 20th-century public park. The northern section has ornamental planting with winding paths among lawns and scattered trees with flowering cherries lining the main north-south path, to the east of which is the lake, now restored, with a footbridge over the southern end. Adjacent to the lake are a heather garden and rockery with poplars to the east, and to the south of the lake are formal beds, a lime avenue, bowling green and enclosed formal rose garden with pergola. A small menagerie is to the west of the lake, with tennis courts to the south-west.
King George's Park, originally called Southfields Park, was laid out in 1921-23 by Percy Cane and was opened in 1923 by King George V. In 1938 a swimming pool was added on the edge of the park, known as Wandsworth Open Air Pool, which closed in 1993. Further works were carried out after World War 2.
Visitor FacilitiesThis is a municipal park for general public use.
- Description: Swimming pool.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThis is a municipal park for general public use.
DirectionsRail: Wandsworth Town. Bus: 39, 44, 156, 270
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
- Associated People
Just one person associated to King George's Park, Wandsworth