A few gravestones and tombs remain in the grass and the former mortuary building is adjacent to the entrance gates and brick gate piers on the main road. The garden has mature trees, and also unusual ferns on the boundary walls. Refurbishment works in 2005 included refurbishment of railings, seats and paths. In 2008 Wandsworth Council completed a £43,000 project to restore a number of the C18th monuments, including that of archaeologist Robert Wood (d.1771).
Putney Old Burial Ground was established in 1763 on land donated to the parish by Revd Roger Pettiward when the parish churchyard was full. It became the responsibility of the Putney Burial Board and contains a number of interesting tombs including a monument to Harriet Thomson and a Coade stone chest tomb with a medallion featuring a mourning woman. After it was closed to burials in 1854, it was later converted as a public garden that opened in 1886.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
London Parks and Gardens Trust