St Anne's Churchyard, Wandsworth 9008

Greater London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

The church is set within pleasant landscaping with lawns, some fine trees, shrub and flower beds. In front of the imposing west front of the church, which has a pedimented portico and circular domed tower, is a circular grass plot surrounded by roadway. The entrance gates and cast iron piers on St Anne's Hill were restored in 1993. St Anne's Crescent has some fine early Victorian houses, No. 18 having decorative wrought iron balconies.

History

The land here was once part of Wandsworth Common, built over for housing in the C19th. When St Anne's Church was built as a new parish church in 1820-24 it had a prominent position at the edge of the new suburbs. A Commissioners Church, St Anne's was designed by Robert Smirke in Greek Revival style. Alterations were made to the church in the 1890s when William White truncated the western gallery and E W Mountford added a chancel, Lady Chapel and vestries.

Visitor Facilities

The site is open from 8am - dusk.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is open from 8am - dusk.

Directions

Rail: Wandsworth Town. Bus: 37, 39, 44, 77A, 156, 170, 337
References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust