'Whychfield' was built between 1883 and 1884 by Frank Darwin and takes its name from the Wych-elm that grew near the house. The garden and house have now been amalgamated into the grounds of Trinity College and features variegated foliage, a sunken garden, lawns, shrub roses and Yew hedging.
Detailed DescriptionToday the garden is incorporated within student accommodation which is owned by Trinity Hall. At the Huntingdon Road entrance, formerly a stable block, there is a green oasis leading to the centerpiece, a sunken garden with variegated foliage plants around a lawn enclosed by a yew hedge. A woodland walk has been established under mature trees between new buildings. In spring there is a circular bed of Anemone blanda flowering beneath shrubs roses. All this was executed in 1993 with skill by the garden designer, Andrew Peters. A further area is set aside for establishing bedding plants for the gardens at Wychfield and the College.
- House (featured building)
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Flower Bed
- Description: Circular beds created in 1993
Detailed HistoryWychfield (named after the Wych-elm which grew near the house) was built between 1883 and 1884 by Frank Darwin, University Reader in Botany at the turn of the 19th to 20th century. Later when John Chivers lived here, the grounds were used for garden parties for local Village Preacher's Association whose accounts recall the 'beautiful gardens where croquet, lawn tennis and bowls were played'.
- Associated People
Just one person associated to Huntingdon Road, 'Wychfield'
- pp 42-43The Gardens of Cambridgeshire