Features of Hilton House include a lawn, herbaceous borders, a rose garden and ponds.
Hilton House was created in the late-19th century, and the gardens were restored in the mid-20th century.
Detailed DescriptionWith the help of his father-in-law, the owner Dr. Sidney Peters restored the Victorian layout with a rose garden, herbaceous border and beds for annuals. At the time of his death in 1976 the garden had deteriorated once again. His son returned to Hilton House and the garden was recreated with ponds and fountains, a Chinese bridge and architectural follies, in keeping with the original layout.
- House (featured building)
- Latest Date:
Detailed HistoryThomas Jeffrey’s map of 1768 shows a building on the site of Hilton House which may represent the present building. The 1888 Ordnance Survey map indicated a garden to the north of the house with trees and shrubs around a narrow lawn with a perimeter boundary walk. In 1922 the house was bought by Dr. Sidney Peters (MP for Huntingdon from 1929 until 1945) who found the grounds in a derelict state.
Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust