Manor House, Papworth St Agnes 5949

Papworth St Agnes, England, Cambridgeshire, South Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Features of Manor House include moats, mounds, dovecote, garden walls and an ornamental garden.

History

Manor House was built in the late-16th century as a private residence for Sir William Mallory.

Detailed Description

The garden has a dovecote and extensive walls, to the north a moat with water and to the east a dry moat and pond; all this is part of a larger but never completed garden layout with prospect mounds at corners of the moat.

The house was built on the site of an older manor house which stood within a rectangular moated site. This moat was remodelled and became part of the garden of the house. As only part of the house was completed, only part of the garden was laid out. By the 17th and 18th centuries, the garden receded towards the house. The eastern Elizabethan garden is now pasture land.

Features
  • Dovecote
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Moat
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Artificial Mound
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Papworth St.
History

Detailed History

This 1585 stone manor house to the north of the village, was built for Sir William Mallory, descendant of Sir Thomas Mallory who wrote Morte d’Arthur.

Period

  • Tudor (1485-1603)
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust