Papworth Hall 5932

Papworth Everard, England, Cambridgeshire, South Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Features of Papworth Hall include avenues, a statue, a moat, a tree lined drive and a lodge.

History

Papworth Hall was created in the early-19th century as a private residence. The estate is now a hospital.

Detailed Description

The grounds consist of three broad avenues that radiate from the Hall. One leads east to the Italian garden which is bounded by a moat with a lead statue as a centrepiece. At one time there was an icehouse nearby, and cages for rare birds between the Italian and kitchen garden. A breed of exotic pheasant was named after Cheere. The estate was bought in 1896 by E.T. Hooley who made a new drive lined with lime trees giving it access from Ermine Street, and built a new lodge in the classical style.

The grounds and mature planting of the previous owners have been sympathetically extended in recent years.

Features
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Moat
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Statue
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Avenue
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Papworth Everard
History

Detailed History

Papworth Hall was built between 1810 and 1813 for Charles Madryll Cheere and incorporates details Cheere saw on his Grand Tour, including some from temples on the Acropolis, Athens.

In 1909 Hooley was bankrupted and the estate became the Cambridgeshire Tuberculosis Colony in 1918. In 1927, Papworth Village Settlement was established and it is now owned by Papworth NHS Hospital Trust.

References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust