Features of Canning Town Recreation Ground include a football pitch, multi-use games court, play area and tennis courts.
Canning Town Recreation Ground came into being following local pressure for West Ham Borough Council to provide a recreation ground for this rapidly developing area. Originally known as Beckton Park, it was opened in June 1894 by the then Mayor of West Ham, Alderman J H Bethell. It was designed by the MPGA landscape gardener and consisted of three areas united by two east-west walks: a formal area in the north-west with a bandstand, various tree-lined walks, and shrubberies, with a lodge, refreshments pavilion, drinking fountain and toilets. In the north-east was a gymnasium and an open-air swimming pool, the latter built by private subscription; and in the south-east was an open sports area. Various facilities were added, others were replaced, such as the Lido replacing the pool, itself now gone.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from dawn to dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from dawn to dusk.
DirectionsTube: Plaistow (District, Hammersmith & City) then bus. DLR: Prince Regent then bus. Bus: 147, 241, 300, 325, 473