A map of 1874 shows the house set in woodlands. The estate included a church, school and two entrance lodges. There are curved terraces to the south of the house. There was parkland and woodland beyond. Features included a kitchen garden and a number of small lakes. The 1981 map appears to show a similar layout.
Detailed DescriptionThe land falls away to the south of the house in a series of curving terraces which are presumably turfed over. To the west, beyond a belt of trees, is parkland and beyond that there is woodland. There is what appears to be a walled kitchen garden of 0.48 hectares (1.2 acres).
What are probably a swimming pool and a tennis court appear on the Ordnance Survey 25" map (l931). Small areas are devoted only to conifers. There are a number of small lakes.
The layout appears to be broadly similar on the Ordnance Survey 6" map of 1981.
- House (featured building)
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Garden Terrace
- Description: The land falls away to the south of the house in a series of curving terraces which are presumably turfed over.
- Gate Lodge
- Description: There are two entrance lodges.
- Description: There are a number of small lakes.
Detailed HistoryThere is no sign of the house on the Ordnance Survey's 1" map of 1813, only an unnamed wood. The house is shown on Ordnance Survey's 6" map of 1874 in the middle of the wood. The estate appears to be of about 40 hectares (100 acres) and includes a church and a school at its eastern edge. There are two entrance lodges.
- Victorian (1837-1901)
Sussex Gardens Trust