Bryckden Place (also known as Brigdene)5588

Waldron, England, East Sussex, Wealden

Brief Description

There is evidence of design in the Victorian garden. There were avenues of conifers and many straight rows of trees. The design became less rigid and more flowing in the 1930s.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Conservatory
  • Latest Date:
History

Detailed History

The site is not marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1813, although there may be a small house on the site.

'Bryckden' is marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1874. It is an estate on the southern boundary of Possingworth Park and very much smaller. The area which appears to denote the estate forms an approximate square with Bryckden Farm in the opposite corner to Bryckden, and Brittenden in another corner. Most of the area is shown to be enclosed by a shelter belt of trees.

The map shows a circular drive in front of the house. Within the estate were planted a large number of rows of trees, some forming avenues. Many of the trees were conifers. The map also shows many ancillary buildings close to the house, and Barbara Abbs (1999) notes a conservatory. To the south-east of the house, the map shows a pond.

By 1899 the garden had been extended over the fields to the south-east. There was no sign by this date of the avenues and rows of trees.

On the 1932 Ordnance Survey map the house is called Brigdene. The grounds around the house appear to be better organised, with a rectangular lawn to the north-east. Trees are disposed throughout the parkland. It is not clear whether any of these features survive today.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References

References