St Anne's Church and churchyard form an important focal point at the south end of Kew Green. The churchyard is raised above the level of the Green and contains various historic tombs, including that of Thomas Gainsborough and has numerous trees, including yew and holly.
The origins of the church here date from 1710 when a group of local residents successfully petitioned Queen Ann, who was Lady of the Manor of Richmond, for permission to build a chapel of ease to Kingston parish church. A site on the south of Kew Green was selected and the chapel was consecrated in 1714. When Kew and Petersham were detached from the parish of Kingston, a new church of St Anne's was built in 1770.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail/London Overground/Tube (District): Kew Gardens. Rail: Kew Bridge. Bus: 65, 391.
Official WebsiteClick Here
Diocese of Southwark
London Parks and Gardens Trust