Cambridge City Crematorium 5572

Cambridge, England, Cambridgeshire, Cambridge

Brief Description

Features include a chapel, lawn, summerhouse and two pergolas.

History

The Cambridge City Crematorium was created in the mid-20th century.

Visitor Facilities

The site is a crematorium. Please visit the website for more information. http://www.cambridge.gov.uk/ccm/content/parks-and-recreation/cremations.en

Detailed Description

The site is over 1.6 hectares and is approached by a tree-lined semi-circular drive. To the rear of the new chapel is an extensive lawn with a large rose garden leading into a woodland area planted with dedicated trees.

A footbridge leads across a stream to a small summer house. The stream feeds a large pond surrounded by bullrushes. To the west is a formal garden with two pergolas supporting climbing roses, and two small ponds. The original layout has proved too small and is now being extended (2000).

Features
  • Summerhouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ornamental Pond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pergola
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Chapel
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is a crematorium. Please visit the website for more information. http://www.cambridge.gov.uk/ccm/content/parks-and-recreation/cremations.en
History

Detailed History

The Cambridge City Crematorium was built in 1938, to the designs of the architect J. Percival Chaplin of Norwich. It is situated to the west of the A14 in pastoral surroundings on the Huntingdon Road, four miles from the centre of Cambridge.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust