Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Lodge Park, Tre'r-ddol

Introduction

Lodge Park features a deer park that dates from before 1637 and possibly from medieval times. The 17th-century house at the centre of the park was converted from a parker's lodge and enlarged in the 18th century. There is a range of outbuildings, a kitchen garden and small ornamental garden.

Terrain

hilly
Lodge Park is a surviving, reasonably intact lozenge-shaped deer park dating from before 1637. Parts of its boundaries, including the walls, are in good condition and its form and history suggest a medieval origin. The parkers' lodge at the centre of the park was converted to a substantial house in the 17th century and further enlarged in the late-18th century. It has the usual range of outbuildings, kitchen garden and small ornamental garden.
Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts

Telephone

01443 336000

Access contact details

The deer park is accessible at all times as Forestry Commission land along waymarked trails. The house, Lodge Park, its cottages and walled garden are privately owned and there is no visitor access. Please respect signage.

Directions

Lodge Park is west of the A487, north of Tre'r-ddol and south of Furnace. There are two roadside stopping places.

Owners

  • Forestry Commission (Welsh Assembly)

    Victoria Terrace, Aberystwyth, SY23 2DQ
History

The earliest known reference to a house on this site was in 1616 when Hugh Myddleton of Chirk Castle was awarded the lease of several Cardiganshire silver mines by James I. In 1636 the eccentric garden-maker, mining entrepreneur and associate of Sir Francis Bacon, Thomas Bushell, took a lease on the house, lived there and remodelled an older structure. Further alterations took place between 1787 and 1791. A kitchen garden and orchard was in place west of the house by 1787. The park was always used for hunting and this tradition continued into the Edwardian period.

Associated People
Features & Designations

Designations

  • CADW Register of Landscapes Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Wales

  • Reference: PGW(Dy)61(CER)
  • Grade: II
  • CADW Register of Listed Buildings in Wales

  • Reference: Lodge Park
  • Grade: II

Features

  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The present house dates from the mid-17th century, but was much altered between 1787 and 1791, and further enlarged and improved in the late-19th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: There is an area of former kitchen garden to the west of the house.
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: There is a walled kitchen garden to the north of the house.
  • Park Wall
  • Description: The medieval deer park wall survives on the north-east boundary as a revetted bank clad in vertically placed stones and an internal ditch.
  • Summerhouse
  • Description: The footings survive of two Victorian summerhouses which were situated on the ridge commanding views to the sea to the west.
Key Information

Type

Deer Park

Purpose

Forestry

Principal Building

House

Survival

Part: standing remains

Hectares

48

Open to the public

Yes

Civil Parish

Llangynfelyn

References

References

Contributors

  • Caroline Palmer

  • Ros Laidlaw