Frodesley Park 5548

Frodesley, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

There was first a park at Frodesley in the mid-13th century, but nothing more is known of the medieval park. In the early modern period it was enclosed with a stone park wall, some of which still survives south of Park Farm. The later park was associated with the 17th-century mansion Frodesley Lodge.

History

There was a park at Frodesley by 1248. It was apparently reformed shortly before 1609, probably when Frodesley Lodge was being built. The park was later inclosed with a stone wall around 1750, when additions were being made to the lodge. It was disparked after 1787 and divided into fields.

Features
  • Country House (featured building)
  • Description: Frodesley Lodge is a plain, grey stone house of Elizabethan date, probably first built in the early 17th century when improvements were being made to the park.It is first mentioned in 1675, when it was occupied by Sir Richard Corbett during the building of Longnor Hall. The original building, of stone, has a two-storeyed gabled T-plan, the north side with a semi-circular projecting stair turret for a newel. The lodge has a flat roof, presumably to allow the hunt to be viewed. In the basement are kitchens. The chimneys have brick star-shaped stacks. A new stone ashlar wing was added around 1750.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Park Wall
  • Description: A stone wall was built to enclose the park around 1750. A part of the wall still stands to the south of Park Farm.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Frodesley
References

References