The grounds of Harnage Grange appear to comprise a medieval deerpark, re-landscaped in the 18th century.
Harnage Grange is recorded in the late 16th century. A new house (now demolished) was built on site in the early 18th century.
On the high ground south of the house there was a deer park, with probable medieval origins.
Much of the park was lost to enclosure, but the most notable remaining feature of the grounds is a late 16th-century gazebo. This polygonal brick structure, which lies close to the east side of Harnage Grange, has a pyramidal stone slate roof with finial. It is described as 'a particularly fine and notably unaltered example'.
Also of note is a 17th-century, single-storey brick outbuilding, and 17th- and 18th-century garden walls.
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
Harnage Grange was owned in the later 16th century by the Fowler family (the descendants of Sir Richard Fowler, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster under Edward IV). On 1st November 1704, William Fowler was made the First Baronet Fowler of Harnage Grange, Salop.
The Fowlers extended the original medieval house into a U-plan building soon after 1569. In the early 18th century a new house (demolished 1878) was built east of the Grange, which was itself further embellished in the later 19th and earlier 20th century.
On the high ground south of the house there was a deer park, first recorded in 1684. It probably encompassed the medieval Harnage wood (mentioned in 1235), which probably lay above the 400 ft contour. The park, which provided grazing for 200 sheep and 150 cattle in 1756, was enclosed by 1774.
- 18th Century