Langley 5578

Langley, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

In the middle ages, half of Langley township plus another 121 hectares in Cound lay in Langley Park. The park shrunk, but survived into the post-medieval period, perhaps focused around Langley Hall. It still contained deer in the 17th century.

History

Langley Park was first mentioned in the mid-13th century, and may have been recreated around 1319 after a period of disuse. The park still survived in the 17th century, but by the mid-18th century it only occupied a block of woodland east of

Langley, running between Kenley and the Bullhill Brook. It was disparked between 1785 and 1805.

Features
  • Gatehouse (featured building)
  • Description: The gatehouse is the only remaining part of Langley Hall, the mansion of the Lee family. It is partly timber-framed and partly stone, and is embattled to the north-west.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Acton Burnell
References

References