Longnor Hall 6300

Longnor, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

Longnor Hall features a park and formal gardens.

History

Longnor park originated in the 14th century, and in the 17th century it was disparked and formal gardens were laid out. An 18th-century park and modern gardens still survive.

Detailed Description

The north-east half of Micklewood, allotted to the Lord of Longnor in 1221, was formed into Longnor park soon after 1333. The lodge to that park presumably lay on the site of Park Farm, a mile east of Longnor, which was previously known as Lodge Farm. That park was disparked and inclosed with hedges around 1686. At this time Sir Richard Corbett also built a new manor house and laid out a formal garden in the Dutch style. In paintings of 1670, the front of the house featured a gated forecourt with a circular pond which contained a statue or fountain. There were also four canals running back from the pond, edged with evergreens. Behind the house were raised walks and summerhouses, and their was a cascade or 'water staircase' to one side.

A park was reformed at Longnor in the late 18th century, after the Hall and grounds came into posession of Archdeacon Plymley. Plymley swept away the Dutch garden to make way for a diversion of the Shrewsbury-Hereford road. In 1793, when the park was described as 'new,' it contained 73 acres. It was later reduced in extent, and in 1908 comprised 48 acres, carrying a stock of 30-35 fallow deer. It was then well-timbered, chiefly with oak and beech, and its coverts had recently been replanted.

Longnor Hall lies within the northern part of this park. New gardens began to be laid out in 1952 by the Hall's new owners, Colonel (died 1963) and Mrs Arthur. The main idea was to create a long walk extending east and west in front of the house and aligned on Longnor church. Much of the walk was lined with beech or yew hedges, and curved hedges were also planted on both sides of the house to tie it to its setting. A formal garden was created west of the house, and in 1964 a water garden was under construction on the south-west edge of the park.

Features
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Description: Longnor Hall was built by Sir Richard Corbett in 1670. It is constructed of red brick with stone dressings, and is of seven bays and two storeys. There are also interior details of the 17th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Walk
  • Description: There is a yew and beech-hedge walk leading from the hall to Longnor church.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Water Feature
  • Description: A water garden was being constructed in 1964 on the south-west edge of the park.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Longnor
History

Detailed History

Longnor was first imparked in 1333, and was disparked and enclosed in 1686. At this time Sir Richard Corbett laid out a formal Dutch garden to accompany his new house. A new park was formed in the 1770s by Archdeacon Plymley, which swept away the formal gardens. This park still survives in modified form. Modern gardens have been planted since 1952, under the guidance of the owners Col and Mrs Arthur.

References

References