The early burials were in the northern part and are not marked with gravestones, although its use for burial is recorded on a wall plaque. The burial ground to the south that was given by Sarah Angell in 1824 has simple rows of headstones set among the grass and a row of yew trees along one boundary, with other trees and shrubs. The uniformity and simplicity of gravestones in Quaker burial grounds reflects the Quaker philosophy of equality.
The Meeting House was built in 1785, a simple Georgian building with a main meeting room that is little changed today. The Brentford Friends were connected with Kew Gardens and a number of noted botanists, including Baker and Oliver, regularly attended the Meeting House and were buried here.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open occasionally, there being access when the Meeting House is open.
Detailed DescriptionFirst records of a Friends Meeting at Brentford date from 1659, which lapsed when John Woolrich, at whose house the meetings were held, was arrested. In 1706 meetings were held in a barn in Old Brentford but from 1731 there was a movement to set up a new Meeting House. This led to the purchase in 1785 of a small plot of land from Benjamin Angell, a wealthy Quaker. The earliest burials took place in the area to the north of the Meeting House. In 1824 an additional strip of land to the south was given by Sarah Angell for a burial ground and it was used as such from 1855 onwards, remaining open for burials today.
R W Harris, 'Quakers at Brentford and Isleworth' in Middlesex Quarterly No. 2, Winter 1953; History on Brentford and Isleworth Quakers' website
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=HOU025
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open occasionally, there being access when the Meeting House is open.
DirectionsRail: Syon Lane. Bus: 235, 237, 267, H28
- Late 18th Century
- 18th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust