Brampton Park, Brampton 5968

England, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire

Brief Description

Features of Brampton Park once included a canal, a bridge, shrubbery cabinets, a walled garden, formal flower beds and extensive lawns.

History

Bramtpon Park was established in the early-19th century for Lady Oliver Sparrow. The property is now the Royal Air Force Brampton base.

Detailed Description

The 1824 estate map by Lowell shows proposals for the garden—a canal to the north of the house running east-west with a suspension bridge and statue at the far west end. Along the northern edge of the property cabinets (secret hedged enclosures, some with statues) were made in shrubberies. There is a large walled garden to the west of the house.

In 1834 Lovell was asked to produce a further layout omitting the canal and proposing instead a grand drive through the park with formal flower beds in extensive lawns.

Features
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Flower Bed
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Shrubbery
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ornamental Bridge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Canal
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Brampton
History

Detailed History

This early-19th-century castellated house in Tudor style by Thomas Whitwell built for Lady Oliver Sparrow stands in 16 hectares of grounds. In 1907 the house was partly destroyed by fire, and a smaller house was built on the same site. This site is now RAF Brampton with numerous military buildings in the grounds.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust