Cherry Hinton Hall, Cambridge 4068

Cambridge, England, Cambridgeshire, Cambridge

Brief Description

A mid-19th-century landscape park originally extending to 14.1 hectares. The hall and grounds were purchased by the council in 1937 and a programme of regeneration and restoration was undertaken in 1963 with a parterre garden added in 1983. The kitchen garden is now a Plant Propagation Centre.

History

The hall was built for John Oakes, a surgeon at Addenbrooke's hospital.

Detailed Description

The Hall stood in a 14 hectare park, surrounded by lawns, flower parterres, shrubberies, a fernery, a kitchen garden and two orchards. The park was remodelled in 1963, much-needed tree surgery carried out, and a wild fowl collection introduced.

In 1983 a parterre garden was laid out to the south of the Hall, the lake improved and children's play facilities provided. The kitchen garden has become a Plant Propagation Centre providing over 200,000 seasonal bedding plants for the city and other councils.

The gardens contain the National Collection of Hardy Geranium and Bergenia cultivars. Each year the Cambridge Folk Festival is held in the grounds and attracts 10,000 visitors from all over the world.

Features
  • Parterre
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Great House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Lawn, Tree Feature, Lake
History

Detailed History

Cherry Hinton Hall was built in 1834 for John Oakes, a surgeon at Addenbrooke's Hospital.

The sale particulars of 1870 list a fine collection of trees; Ailanthus, walnut, maple, elm, ash, pine and birch. The Hall remained in private ownership until 1937 when the City Council acquired it from Trinity Hall.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References