A garden developed on the site of the Barnwell Train Station and developed from the 1950s onwards when the station was closed.
Detailed DescriptionPrior to Dr Beeching axing the Mildenhall branch line, Barnwell Junction, had a Station Master who tended the platform gardens and maintained the orchard to the north.
The branch line was kept open for shunting of oil for central heating requirements, and the garden either side of the track is now gated.
Keeping all the existing station buildings, the booking office, sack store, half-timbered waiting room and the platforms, the present owners have created a garden on both sides of the track since the mid 1950s and only the plate layers cabin has been removed.
To the west of the track is a terraced garden with conifers and herbaceous plants backed by a line of silver birch. Along the main platform a new brick pergola has been built and a timber pergola, covered with hops and clematis, leads to a formal herb garden with raised beds. To the north of the station is the remains of an orchard which is now the resting place of Montana, a Pulman carriage built in 1923, which was behind the Golden Arrow on its regular journeys to France.
Herbaceous Border, Raised Bed, Pergola