Coldhams Common is an area of common land extending to 39.6 hectares and dating from at least the 14th century. Sports pitches and a swimming pool cover 8.9 hectares.
The area was designated as a common by 1700.
Visitor FacilitiesThis site is a common.
The Common covers 39.6 hectares and is bounded by Coldham's Brook. Its Gatehouse remains today along Coldham's Lane. Just under nine hectares are set aside for sport, which include 13 football pitches and a floodlit sports area.
A children's play area is located along the Coldhams Lane frontage which often appears to be flooded after heavy rain. Recently an open air bathing pool along the northern boundary has been improved by making it an all-year-round facility and is now the Abbey Swimming Pool.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThis site is a common.
Detailed HistoryColdham's Green is shown on the 1300 Field Map of Cambridge and was designated a Green Common by 1700. Between 1665 and 1666 outbreaks of plague afflicted the local inhabitants. In the plague's final year Parliament gave permission to use Coldham's Common for permanent pest houses to isolate victims. As the need had passed, these dwellings were never built and in 1703, the temporary ones were removed.
In the 19th century the Common was divided by a rifle range, but with the coming of the Cambridge-to-Newmarket railway line across the Common, the rifle range was relocated to the north. A further miniature rifle range was established to the south of the railway line.
By 1944 Stourbridge Grove was developed for housing within an old field boundary along the southern boundary of the Common.
In March 1972 the Common was the venue for the 59th International Cross Country Championships.