Private landscaped gardens surrounding a pair of attached early nineteenth century villas. Edgecumbe Hall and Thornton Villa are now in single, commercial use. They are built in the neo-classical style by Charles Dyer and are the finest of an important group of three early villas. They date from 1831-33.They are within the Clifton conservation Area.
Private landscaped gardens surrounding Edgecumbe Hall and Thornton Villa, now in single, commercial use. Much of the original layout remains with serpentine paths, grass and some speciment trees. Recent car parking areas have altered the layout. Boundary walls, piers and gateway remain on the Richmond Hill frontage and on the south boundary with the former Nursery (railings removed). Boundary wall is reduced on the Queen's Road frontage and the party wall removed. The site is important as a surviving gardenesque layout to these fine Clifton neo-classical villas.
They lie within the Clifton conservation area.
- Associated People
- Features & Designations
The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building
- Grade: II*
- Key Information
Domestic / Residential
Avon Gardens Trust