Berkeley Crescent, Bristol is a late 18th century crescent of six houses with a private raised communal garden. It lies between between Berkeley Square and buildings off Queen's Road. Originally, there were pennant stone steps and retaining walls (now partly reconstructed).The site is within the Clifton conservation area, and numbers 1-6 (consecutive) cover the south and east side of the site,
The site was built as an extension to the Berkeley Square development.
Nos. 1-6 Berkeley Crescent form a crescent between Berkeley Square and buildings off Queens Road. It dates from 1787 and is in the mid Georgian style. The late eighteenth century private, raised communal garden area was for the use of all residents. The original steps and retaining walls have been partly reconstructed. The area is grassed with shrubs. There are attached wrought-iron front basement area railings and gates, also railings to the central garden area. It was built as an extension to the Berkeley Square development. It has a good raised flagged pavement, with steps at each end, in front. There are communal wells to the rear.
It falls within the Clifton Conservation area.
Steps, Garden Wall, Railings, Gateway
- 18th Century
- Late 18th Century
- Associated People
Avon Gardens Trust