Surrounded by Dulwich Woods, the church has a neat garden with war memorial, lawns, shrub and flower beds with hedging to the road. Soon after it was completed, the painter Camille Pissarro painted the church in its woodland setting in 1870.
St Stephen's Church was built to serve the growing population in South Dulwich that developed following the establishment of the Crystal Palace on Sydenham Hill and the arrival of the railway. The ragstone church with its fine slate spire was built in 1867-8, designed by Charles Barry Jnr, the architect of Dulwich College.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Sydenham Hill
Official WebsiteClick Here
London Parks and Gardens Trust