After WWII Kingswood House deteriorated but in 1956 it was opened as a community centre and library for the LCC estate that was built over most of the grounds. Remnants of the earlier landscaping survive, and The President John F Kennedy Rest Garden was created.
The Kingswood Estate dates back to the C16th, but in the 1890s it was purchased by John Lawson Johnston, a businessman who also invented Bovril, who rebuilt the house that later became known as Bovril Castle. During WWI the house was sub-let as a hospital for Canadian troops, and after the war it was briefly used as a nurses' home. It was purchased by Sir William Vestey in 1919, who became Lord Vestey of Kingswood in 1922. During WWII it was used as offices and the RAF had a barrage balloon in the grounds.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Sydenham Hill; Gipsy Hill then bus. Bus: 3, 322, 450.
London Parks and Gardens Trust