Dulwich Woods and the adjacent Sydenham Hill Wood are survivors of the Great North Wood, which once covered large tracts of land here, a chain of oak woods and wooded commons that extended from Selhurst to Brockley. The woods survived until the development of Crystal Palace in the mid C19th, which led to some loss to housing development.
In 1605 the Manor of Dulwich was purchased by Edward Alleyn and the woods remain in the ownership of the successor to Alleyn's charitable foundation, now managed by the Trustees of The Dulwich Estate. After 1787 Dulwich tenants lost their common rights following the Enclosure Acts. A woodman was appointed to look after Dulwich Estate Woods in 1900, a post that continued until 1914, after which the woodland became rather neglected and overgrown.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Sydenham Hill
London Parks and Gardens Trust