The present rose garden was laid out on the site in 1989 with rose beds and box hedges outlining the nave of Wren's church, with wooden towers representing the pillars that held up the roof.
Christchurch Greyfriars Church Garden is on the site of the Franciscan Church of Greyfriars, established in 1225, following the arrival from Italy of 9 Franciscan monks, called Greyfriars from the colour of their clothing. Their monastery had many influential benefactors including Richard Whittington, Lord Mayor, who founded a library here in 1429. Numerous well-known people were buried in the old church, including four queens. Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries the church was converted for use as a parish church. Destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 it was rebuilt by Christopher Wren, but later destroyed all but the west tower in World War 2. It was decided not to rebuild the church and some land was lost to road widening in the 1960s.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Rose Garden
- Plant Type
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: St Paul's (Central). Bus: 4, 8, 25, 56, 100, 172, 242