The garden is a raised area of lawn with a large plane tree, path on two sides and tombstones ranged along the back. It is overlooked by Pewterers' Hall, which was built here in 1959-61 after the Company's hall in Lime Street was demolished in 1932.
In 1189 there is a reference to the church here as 'Ecclesia de Staningehage', Staining probably referring to a landowner from Staines. Oat Lane is probably so-called for an oat market that existed here by the C16th. St Mary Staining Church was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 and not restored. In 1965 the Corporation of London took over the maintenance of the open space created on the site of the church and churchyard.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: St Paul's (Central)
London Parks and Gardens Trust