St Vedast's had a small burial ground on the north side of the church and the remains of the churchyard is now a secluded courtyard garden, with a number of commemorative plaques set into the walls.
St Vedast was a C6th French Bishop of Arras, the name anglicised as Foster. The church may have received its dedication as a result of being on Foster Lane. There has been a church here since 1100; a late C15th/early C16th chapel was replaced in the early C17th by a new church, itself damaged in the Great Fire of 1666 and rebuilt first by the parish and then by Wren probably using the old walls.
Visitor FacilitiesThe garden is open Mon-Fri 8am-6pm.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe garden is open Mon-Fri 8am-6pm.
DirectionsTube: St Paul's (Central)
- Associated People