The former churchyard is to the west, a raised garden with a number of gravestones and trees. Steps lead down to the excavated site of the church, laid out as a sunken garden with lawn, hard surround and seating against the retaining wall. A central fountain was installed in 1995 and a sculpture relocated here from New Street Square in 2009.
The Goldsmiths' Garden is on the site of the churchyard and medieval church of St John Zachary, which was damaged in the Great Fire. Part of its steeple was demolished and the church probably ceased to be used at that time, although part of the ruins remained until the C19th. The Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths had acquired land here in 1339, and built the earliest recorded Livery Hall. After part of the Company's property was demolished in WWII, the site was first laid out as a garden in 1941, redesigned in later years.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: St Paul's (Central)
- Associated People
Just one person associated to St John Zachary Garden (Goldsmiths' Garden)
London Parks and Gardens Trust