Rutlish School was established in 1895 at the instigation of John Innes, funded through the Rutlish Charity of which he was then Chairman. The Manor House, where Innes lived until his death in 1904, remains in the school grounds. The gates from the old Rutlish Science School were re-installed in the quad surrounded by trees. Also in the school grounds is Blenkinsop Memorial Garden, laid out to commemorate an ex-teacher of the 1970s.
William Rutlish had left £400 in his will of 1687 for apprenticing poor children and by 1894 the charity's funds had grown to around £6,000. Rutlish Science School opened in 1895 on a site off Kingston Road to the north-east. In 1957 the school relocated to the current site, which had been that of the John Innes Horticultural Institution from 1910-1953.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsRail: Wimbledon Chase, South Merton. Tramlink: Merton Park.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust