Part of the site is largely grassed and used as playing fields, with a bowling green and 1950s pavilion fronted by rose gardens in the north. To the west a path leads to the Sir Joseph Hood Memorial Wood, which was established as a nature reserve in 1994. The Beverley Brook runs through the woodland. In 2000/2001 10,000 trees were planted as a Millennium Wood adjacent to the wood and to the south of the Playing Fields.
The site, once part of the estate of Morden Manor, was acquired in 1931 by Merton and Morden UDC. The Sir Joseph Hood Memorial Playing Fields were opened as a public amenity and named in memory of Sir Joseph Hood, MP, former Mayor of Wimbledon and a local benefactor.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from am (weekdays)/9am (weekends & Bank Hols) - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from am (weekdays)/9am (weekends & Bank Hols) - dusk.
DirectionsRail: Motspur Park. Bus: K5
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust