Cherrington Manor House 5088

Cherrington, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

In 1892, Cherrington Manor House was recorded as a 'gentlewoman's residence,' with a 9 acre park defined by a wood and iron fence. The park contained a small pond of half an acre, was planted with oak and elm, and contained Chinese geese and fallow deer (Whitaker 1892, 129).

History

Cherrington Manor House, dated to 1635, stands within a medieval moated site. By the late 19th century, and most likely far earlier, the site featured a wooded deer park.

Features
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Description: Cherrington Manor is a three-story timber-framed manor house with a lobby-entry plan. The house features a gabled centre porch, probably added in the 19th century, and there is concave-sided lozenge decoration in the left and right gables. There are also two blind arches beneath the first floor windows.This house may represent an addition to an older, now-demolished, structure. In addition, a reused cruck timber dated by dendrochronology to 1537-1557 survives from a demolished outbuilding (http://www.dendrochronology.net/V6%202007/shropshire.htm)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Boundary Fence
  • Description: In 1892, the park was defined by a wood and iron fence
  • Latest Date:
References

References