Hadley Park 5636

Telford, England

Brief Description

There was a medieval park at Hadley, which was later developed into a country estate. Surviving landscape features and toponyms allow some reconstruction of the earlier park's extent.

History

We know of a park at Hadley in the medieval period, and that a designed country estate had been put in place by the 19th-century.

Visitor Facilities

Now in use as a hotel. http://www.hadleypark.co.uk More information

Detailed Description

The house itself is now in use as Hadley Park House Hotel, and a major road bisects the estate. Nonetheless, field names allow the extent of the park to be characterised.In 1900, the Castle Car Works lay just outside the south-west corner of the former park, whose curving, northern, boundary lay north and west of Hadley Park Farm, the most likely site for a lodge.Hadley park bridge lay at the point where the canal crossed the west boundary of the park.

Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Now in use as a hotel. http://www.hadleypark.co.uk

Directions

See www.hadleypark.co.uk
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Hadley &
History

Detailed History

Most of the north-east part of Hadley township was emparked before 1277.By 1557 the lord had leased out the park.

Hadley Park Farm was bought with the manor in 1848 by G.B. Thorneycroft. The farm was briefly known as Hadley Hall. In 1851, its park-like grounds were alluded to in Bagshaw's Directory of Shropshire. More recently, the house has been converted into use as a hotel and restaurant

Period

  • Medieval (1066-1540)
References

References