Lubstree Park 5755

Preston upon the Weald Moors, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

Lubstree park was a deer park of medieval origin, and there was a lodge there from the early 17th century. The park was enclosed and the lodge destroyed in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.


The origin of the area later known as Lubstree Park was probably around the time of the Domesday survey, when it was known as 'haye Gubald.' It was a deer park by 1283, and was eventually fully enclosed by the mid-18th century.

  • Hunting Lodge (featured building)
  • Description: Lubstree Park lodge was an early 17th-century building of some size and style. In 1605 it was of two storeys, with a hall and offices on the ground floor. There were various chambers, including a great chamber, above. By 1679 the lodge had an elaborate balcony overlooking the park. It was destroyed around 1818.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Park Pale
  • Description: There was a park pale mentioned in 1720.

Civil Parish

  • Preston Upon The

Detailed History

According to the medieval placename, Lubstree Park was presumably first enclosed by the Domesday lord of the manor, Godebold the priest. This large area of rising ground on the edge of the weald moors was known in 1224 as 'haye Gubald,' but by 1283 was called Lubstree Park. At that time was said to be over a league in circumference 'by the perch of the forest.'

A lodge was built in the park in the very beginning of the 17th century, and it served as the main residence of the Levesons, the lords of the manor. By 1679 the part of the park that included the lodge, as well as some land to the west of it, had been enclosed, but most of the park remained open. In 1720, it was recorded that starving deer, which had to compete for grazing with cattle and horses, were escaping and causing damage outside the pale. The park was finally fully enclosed around 1744, and Lubstree Park ceased to exist. Not long after, around 1818, the lodge was destroyed.