Wilderness Island is an industrial landscape dating back to the C17th, with remains of watercourses belonging to mills situated at the confluence of two arms of the River Wandle. There is a well-preserved fish pond, and the site had former use as pleasure grounds. It is now maintained for its ecological value as a nature reserve.
The 1st edition OS map of 1867 shows the island under wood with an area to the south up to the railway embankment as open land.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Hackbridge; Carshalton. Bus: 151, 127