Pixfield Court Grounds and Valley School Field are remnants of the grounds and meadow of Pixfield, a Georgian house built in 1774.
In 1936 the house was converted to flats and renamed Pixfield Court, with a new block adjacent. Part of the meadow was retained as grounds while the remainder was made over to Valley School as a playing field. In c.1990 the school took over adjacent allotments, which were provided with a strip of land on the northern edge of Valley School Field. The setting is backed by Bromley Hill Wood, the southernmost remnant of primeval oak woodland that was acquired in 1799 by Charles Long as part of his large Bromley Hill Place estate. It was purchased by Samuel Cawston in 1881, who developed a luxurious garden suburb called Bromley Park, retaining large areas of the woodland.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsRail: Shortlands, Bromley North. Bus: 227.
- 18th Century
- Late 18th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust