The cemetery has a formal layout of paths in a grid pattern. The pair of cemetery chapels, linked by a porte-cochère, are modest red brick buildings with Portland stone dressing and a Welsh slate roof. At the cemetery entrance are brick and stone gate piers, an area of beds with ornamental planting, and a lodge to the north. The cemetery has a variety of trees throughout, with lines of Lombardy poplar and avenues along the paths, including ornamental cherry trees.
Alperton Cemetery was opened in 1917 during WWI, and until 1946 it was called Wembley Cemetery.
Visitor Facilities9am-4pm (Jan/Feb/Nov/Dec) - 5pm (Oct) - 6pm (Mar) - 7pm (April, Sept) - 8pm (May - August). Chapel opened for London Open House - 2000)
Detailed DescriptionAlperton Cemetery was opened as Wembley Cemetery in 1917 and the first interment took place in 1918. The pair of chapels linked by a porte-cochère were built in 1937, a modest red brick building but having good stained glass in the burial chapel. The Columbarium was opened in the other chapel in 1942. The cemetery has paths laid out in a grid pattern, with a variety of trees throughout. There is a war grave section maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
LB Brent Cemeteries Dept website; Ian Yarham, Meg Game 'Nature Conservation in Brent, Ecology Handbook 31' (London Ecology Unit, 2000); Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008)
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=BRE001
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Details9am-4pm (Jan/Feb/Nov/Dec) - 5pm (Oct) - 6pm (Mar) - 7pm (April, Sept) - 8pm (May - August). Chapel opened for London Open House - 2000)
DirectionsTube: Alperton (Piccadilly). Bus: 79, 83, 224, 226, 245, 297, 487
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust